Berties Easy Roast Chicken
Our Bannockburn Chickens were voted No.1 free range chicken by The Age and we love roasting these juicy birds and filling our kitchen with divine aromas.
2 carrots, peeled and quartered
2 onions, peeled and quartered
1 Free Range Bannockburn Chicken
Olive oil/ butter
Salt & freshly ground pepper
1 lemon, cut into wedges
1 head of garlic, cut in half widthways
1 bunch thyme
- Preheat your oven on to 220c.
- Put your vegetables in a roasting dish to make a trellis to sit your chicken on. (The juices with gather here if you want to make a gravy and the vegetables with taste amazing)
- Run your chicken under cold water and then pat dry with a towel.
- Smother your bird in butter or olive oil and season generously with salt and pepper.
- Fill the cavity with the lemon wedges, garlic and thyme.
- Put the chook in the oven at 220c for 10 minutes then turn it down to 180c and cook for 20 minutes per 500g – so a 1.5kg chicken will take 1 hour. You can check it’s cooked by sticking a knife into the crease by the leg, if the juices run clear it’s cooked.
- Remove from the oven, cover with foil and leave to rest for at least 20 minutes. It will stay hot. Then carve up and enjoy…
Add quick gravy?
Use the juices in the pan, add a large dollop of Raw Materials Redcurrant Jelly or Spiced Onion Confit and about a cup of stock and cook, stirring until it’s gravy like. 5-10 mins.
Or we also have fast gravy mix that just need boiling water!